Last modified: May 25, 2018
Root Inc. (“Root” or “we”) respect your privacy and are committed to protecting it through our compliance with this policy.
This policy describes the types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide when you visit the website https://www.rootinc.com (our “Website“) and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information.
This policy applies to information we collect:
- On this Website.
- In email, text, and other electronic messages between you and this Website.
- When you interact with our advertising and applications on third-party websites and services, if those applications or advertising include links to this Website.
It does not apply to information collected by:
- Us offline or through any other means, including on any other website we operated by us or any third party.
- Any third party, including through any application or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from or on the Website.
We may update, amend, or change this policy from time to time. If we make changes, we will notify you by posting the updated policy on our Website and changing the policy “Effective Date” identified at the top of the page. Your continued use of this Website after we make changes means you have accepted the changes, so please check the policy periodically for updates.
Information We Collect About You and How We Collect It
We collect several types of information from and about users of our Website, including information:
- By which you may be personally identified, such as name, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number, or any other identifier by which you may be contacted online or offline (“personal information“).
- That is about you but individually does not identify you, such as information you would like to receive from us.
- About your internet connection, the equipment you use to access our Website, and usage details.
We collect this information:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us.
- Automatically as you navigate through the site. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses, and information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other tracking technologies.
- From third parties, for example, our business partners.
Information You Provide to Us
The information we collect on or through our Website may include:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our Website. This includes information you provide when you sign up to receive articles and other information from us, by posting material, or requesting services from us.
- Other information we ask you for, for example when you enter a contest or promotion we sponsor or when you report a problem with our Website.
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact us.
- Your responses to surveys that you choose to complete for research or other purposes.
- Your search queries on the Website.
- Information you provide if you apply for job through our Website.
Although we limit access to certain pages on our Website, please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable.
If you provide information to be posted on public areas of the Website or transmitted to other users of the Website or third parties (“User Contributions“), your User Contributions are posted on and transmitted to others at your own risk.
Information We Collect Through Automatic Data Collection Technologies.
As you navigate through and interact with our Website, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns, including:
- Details of your visits to our Website, such as traffic data, location data, logs, and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Website.
- Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type.
Also, we may use these technologies to collect information about your online activities over time and across third-party websites or other online services (behavioral tracking). Click here for information on how you can opt out of behavioral tracking on this Website.
The information we collect automatically may include personal information or we may maintain it or associate it with personal information we collect in other ways or receive from third parties. It helps us to improve our Website and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Website according to your individual interests.
- Speed up your searches.
- Recognize you when you return to our Website.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
- Flash Cookies. Certain features of our Website may use local stored objects (or Flash cookies) to collect and store information about your preferences and navigation to, from, and on our Website. Flash cookies are managed by different browser settings than browser cookies. For information about managing your privacy and security settings for Flash cookies, see Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information.
- Web Beacons. Pages of our Website and our emails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) to count users who visit those pages or open an email and that we use for other related Website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain Website content and verifying system and server integrity).
We do not control these third parties’ tracking technologies or how they may be used. If you have any questions about an advertisement or other targeted content, you should contact the third party directly. For information about how you can opt out of receiving targeted advertising from many providers, see Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information.
How We Use Your Information
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including personal information:
- To present our Website and its contents to you.
- To provide you with information, products, subscriptions, or services that you request from us.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- To provide you with notices about your account, including expiration and renewal notices.
- To notify you about changes to our Website or any products, subscriptions, or services we offer or provide though it.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features on our Website.
- In any other way we describe when you provide the information.
- For any other purpose with your consent or direction.
We may also use your information to contact you about services and deliverables that may interest you. If you do not want us to use your information in this way, please check the relevant box located on the form on which we collect your data (the registration form). For more information, see Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information.
How we Share Your Information
We may disclose aggregated information about our users, and information that does not identify any individual, without restriction.
- To contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business and who are bound by contractual obligations to keep personal information confidential and use it only for these purposes.
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of Root’s assets when personal information held by Root about our Website users is an asset that is transferred.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it. For example, if you give us an email address to use the “email a friend” feature of our Website, we will transmit the contents of that email and your email address to the recipients.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- With your consent.
- To third parties who host our Website.
- To third parties who provide our marketing automation system.
We may also disclose your personal information:
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of Root, our customers, or others.
Processing Personal Data Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
If you are from the European Economic Area (EEA), our legal basis for collecting and using the personal information described in this policy depends on the personal information we collect and the context in which we collect it.
We may process your personal information because you have given us permission to do so, the processing is in our legitimate interest and is not overridden by your rights, and to comply with law. We will retain the personal data as long as necessary for the purposes set out in this policy and until you notify us to delete it. We will also retain data about how you use the Website for internal analysis purposes.
Residents of the EEA should contact us to exercise any of your data protection rights including:
- Access – The right to access, update, or delete your personal information.
- Rectify – The right to rectify your personal information if it is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Object – The right to object to our processing your personal information.
- Portability – The right to a copy of the personal information we have in a structured, machine-readable, commonly used format.
- Withdraw Consent – The right to withdraw your consent to process your personal information.
Residents of the EEA also have the right to complain to a Data Protection Authority about our collection and use of your personal information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority in the EEA.
Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
- Promotional Offers from Root. If you do not wish to have your contact information used by Root to promote our own or third parties’ products or services, you can opt out by checking the relevant box located on the form on which we collect your data (the registration form) or at any other time by sending us an email stating your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. If we have sent you a promotional email, you may send us a return email asking to be omitted from future email distributions.
We do not control third parties’ collection or use of your information to serve interest-based advertising. However these third parties may provide you with ways to choose not to have your information collected or used in this way. You can opt out of receiving targeted ads from members of the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI“) on the NAI’s website.
Accessing and Correcting Your Information
You can review and change your personal information by logging into the Website and visiting your account profile page.
You may also send us an email at email@example.com to request access to, correct, or delete any personal information that you have provided to us. We cannot delete your personal information except by also deleting your user account. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits users of our Website that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or write us at: Root Inc., Attn: ____________, 5470 Main Street, Sylvania, Ohio 43560.
Our Website is not designed for or directed at children under 13 years of age. We do not knowingly collect or maintain personal information from children under 13.
We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure. All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers behind firewalls.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our Website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone. We urge you to be careful about giving out information in public areas of the Website like message boards. The information you share in public areas may be viewed by any user of the Website.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our Website. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website.