Business Development Consultant, Digital Solutions
Based in Root’s Sylvania, OH office or Chicago office
The Digital Solutions Consultant is a key player who drives the strategic growth of the Root’s Learning, Media, and Technology (LM&T) team and offerings. LM&T at Root is made up of a diverse team of developers, filmmakers, learning designers, and digital artists with expertise and passion for delivering and sustaining strategic learning and change initiatives. The person in this role works with the team and other internal colleagues to position relevant blended modalities in our change solutions. The goal is to deliver profitable, scalable business growth by sharing expertise on how blended modalities and technologies support learning and embedding required behaviors that make change stick and ultimately achieve our clients’ business goals.
This person will invest 70% of their time in business development opportunities with colleagues in existing account relationships and 30% of their time hunting new opportunities using prospecting strategies. This is an outstanding role for someone looking to take on a key position in a growing company and to advance their business development career.
- Partnering and collaborating with internal sales and consulting colleagues to identify opportunities, deliver compelling in-person and virtual demonstrations, prepare proposals, position solutions, and close sales.
- Establishing yourself as a credible subject matter expert and thought leader on learning, media, and technology programs and platforms to inspire “pull” internally and externally for our services and solutions.
- Staying current on industry trends, sharing competitive intelligence, and gathering and leveraging client input and feedback on learning, media, and technology solutions.
- Understanding all of Root’s capabilities and positioning them with clients. Demonstrating expertise to identify, reframe, and expand client problems relevant to Root’s Change Process. Identifying and including other Root experts to shape broader solutions that meet or exceed client expectations.
- Supporting and delivering workshops using Root’s established POV and offerings. Facilitating working sessions, forums, and discussion groups as appropriate.
- Being a consultative partner and resource to both internal partners and prospective clients.
- Contributing to the ongoing refinement of the LM&T team’s strategy, offerings, and go-to-market approach.
Desired Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree is a plus.
- At least five years of relevant sales, business development, or consulting experience
- Subject-matter expertise in learning modalities, media use, and digital technologies (web, eLearning, social, mobile, LMS)
- A track record of presenting, positioning, and scoping solutions with senior-level buyers
- Strengths in presentation and facilitation for executive groups
- A willingness to travel at least 50% of the time
Other Competencies You Will Need on the Job
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills, with a talent for engaging others and building relationships
- Collaboration and influencing skills for all levels (both inside of Root and with prospects and clients)
- Planning and organization skills
- An understanding of technology trends; and an ability to demonstrate and speak about technology relevant to Root’s point of view on change
- Tenacity and an ability to embrace and champion innovative ideas and work under pressure
- A sense of humor in team-based, collaborative, and user-centered environments
The world’s most respected organizations rely on Root to realize positive strategic or cultural change. By engaging and activating people throughout the process, Root uses a combination of visual methods, innovation, and interactivity to achieve measurable and sustainable results. Based on research and evolved over 25 years, we help organizations achieve meaningful change, leaders deliver strategic clarity, and teams close organizational gaps. With a nationally renowned reputation and a bold culture of “whatever it takes,” Root has engaged with a remarkable two out of three Fortune 50 companies.